Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mushroom lentil spaghetti squash casserole {vegan}{gluten free}

My kid loves pasta. 
Like, asks for pasta for breakfast, love.
On top of that, he wants "sauce" on everything. His darling father taught him to say "sauce me!!!" So now he demands "sauce" (which is just veggies- puréed) on everything. Apples, cereal, bananas, carrots- you get the jist of it. 
So spaghetti squash is a sneaky mom win. Holla!

Ingredients:
1 Sketti squash
1/2 c lentils
1 cup veggie broth
1cup or less onions
2-5 cloves garlic
A package of organic mushrooms (I used less)
A splash of unsweetened almond milk
1 TBSP tamari (I'll skip this next time probably) 
1 TBSP nutritional yeast (I'll skip this, too)
1 TBSP instant oats 
1-3 cups of kale

First I (ok-I made kody do this because... Let's face it- cutting squashes SUCK)
Cut the squash in half, removed the seeds (save them & roast them if you want to, YUM) 
And placed them flesh down in a shallow casserole dish of water.
It takes about 30-60 minutes on 375 to bake, depending on how big your squash is.
While the squash is bakin', get to cuttin'! Mince garlic (hopefully you have a garlic press, unlike me) 
Chop onions and sautée in oil (extra healthy points for using coconut oil) for a few minutes.
Add in mushrooms and cook until soft.

Meanwhile boil the cup of broth in a small sauce pan. Add lentils and lower heat. Cool until broth is absorbed into lentils. 

Add lentils to the onion, garlic & mushrooms. Sautée for a few minutes before folding in kale.

After the squash is tender, use a fork to remove the yumminess into a collinder to remove extra liquid. Add the squash to the pan and sautée with all the other ingredients for a few minutes. Add a splash of milk with all the seasonings and tamari or soy sauce.
Throw all of the ingredients into a casserole dish and top with nutritional yeast and instant oats. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes (or less) 
Voila! 

Ro devoured it! So did I. 
I didn't bake it long enough though,(supa important!) I had two hungry boys waiting on me.

Kody said "it's good, I just don't want to eat it.. Ever. Again... "
  
Thanks, babe!

I'll definitely cook it again. Just cause he said that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment